Sunday, August 14, 2011

Make a Movie Date With the Girls!


First, if you have time, you need to read the novel. I read it on the way to Orlando and couldn't put it down. When I found out that a movie version was coming out in August, my friend and fellow teacher made a movie date for the week it was released. It's been a long, long time that I have anticipated the release of a movie. Anyway, Friday night we headed to an area theater and was met with a "Sold Out," so we tried another theater. Just in the nick of time, we got our tickets and found seats. We heard later the second theater faced sold out showings, too.

Why am I so excited about this book? Well, I read that one critique said that this was almost as great as To Kill a Mockingbird. Being an English teacher who thinks that Harper Lee wrote one of the greatest American novels ever, I though to myself, "Yeah, right!" After reading this book and falling in love with the characters like Aibileen, Skeeter, and Minnie, I kind of ate those words. Of course the theme of prejudice abounds (I mean really who cares if someone with tan skin uses the same toilets as everyone else. The unbelievable irony of this is that they let these same wonderful, courageous ladies hug and kiss AND RAISE their children.) Which brings me to a sub-theme between Mae Mobley and Elizabeth. How could you reject your child just because she doesn't live up to your expectations? Yes, I know this was just a character, but I have witnessed this so many times as a teacher. It makes me so angry; I could just lose my sanity. On a different note, there are many funny moments, too. Minnie is a scream, and the result of the "toilet initiative" and the chocolate pie brought down the house in roaring laughter!

There are so many funny, sad, poignant, and frustrating moments. (I would love to have slapped some sense into Hilly Holbrook many times!) The emotions of the reader and viewer run wild, so have a tissue handy! I know that in our theater Friday night, the audience was laughing, cheering, crying, and clapping. (By the way, the soundtrack is awesome, too.) Make a date with the gals soon and be swept away to a 1960s Jackson, Mississippi.

3 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Thanks for the tip, Cindy! I'm definitely going to add this to my library list of must-reads.

Heather said...

I read the book awhile ago, and it was a great read. I am glad to hear that the movie was excellent too. Usually the movie is never as good as the book!!

Mahmee said...

I thought the previews of that movie looked good. Didn't know (but should have guessed) there was a book. Maybe I should just read the book or I might be inclined to hurl expletives at the movie screen. I have a little 'issue' with containing my opinions on racial prejudice. Hmmm...go figure.
Glad you got yourself some girl time too!
M.