Sunday, February 5, 2012

Saying Goodbye to the Year of the Dragon

Yesterday afternoon marked our last CNY celebration with the FCC group in our area.  The organizers always make sure we have a great meal, a dragon dance, and "fireworks" with bubble wrap.




A craft room is always a favorite with all the kids.  This year T wanted to make the ornament craft to add to our tree next year.

Last Saturday, the Jones family came to celebrate with a Chinese dinner and chocolate cake. (My crew requested my chocolate cake instead of a traditional desert.)

With the ideas from some of my blog buddies, Tori and I made place cards with her thumbprints and some newspaper that I had kept from our journey four years ago.  (Some of our treasures had been wrapped in it for protection, and I am so glad I had kept some of it.)

One of my talented and thoughtful students made some origami dragons for Tori and Jonathan.

The boys favorite event that evening was the sparklers.


The holidays have come and gone, the kid's birthdays, and now CNY...Life has been one big celebration in our household.  Tori asked recently, "Mom, what are we going to celebrate next?"  I am so glad that Valentine's Day is just around the corner.  Since I was a little girl, I have always loved paper crafts, especially those that involve hearts, lace, glitter, and decorative paper.  My goal this week is to get my crafting supplies organized in the cabinet that used to house our cookbooks.  It now has a new home beside my scrap book cabinet.  This weekend the kids and I are hosting a Valentine's making extravaganza using some of the great ideas from Family Fun.  Yep, I have a lot of organizing to do to get ready, but I am actually looking forward to it.  Crafting and thinking about crafting always gives me a sense of calm during my crazy/busy days.  Check back soon for our next post on celebrating V-day.

Have an extra special week...

4 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a glorious way to end CNY. Love all the pics. Happy Valentines, dear friend!

Happy crafting!

Joanna B said...

Those placecards are super adorable! I will have to remember that for next year!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

You have been so busy with Tori's birthday and CNY festivities. Your place cards turned out beautiful and so is Tori's ornament, I hope to make something like that with my girls in the future, and hope to enlist a girlfriend who is quite good at the calligraphy. I look forward to hearing about your Valentine's extravaganza. I sadly let my Family Fun subscription lapse, so I am out of the loop, but I just renewed and should be receiving new issues by late spring. I love that magazine. Have a great week!

Mahmee said...

Everyone is looking great in those photos. I also kept some of the Chinese newspaper...it has come in handy. Enjoy your crafting.
M.